Today it’s all about the ice cream. I’m not even going to dance around it and try to give you some fun, interesting story leading up to it before I tell you what we are having. Some things can’t wait. Ice cream is one of them.
And ice cream is especially one of them when you don’t need an ice cream maker, and there’s none of this churning and freezing and then waiting around business involved. Like I said, some things can’t wait. And if you didn’t want to, you don’t even have to wait for this one at all: make the cookies, put them in the freezer to harden while you make your ice cream, slather it altogether and then dig in. I alluded yesterday to my new obsession with banana soft serve and thick ice cream goodness, so you know I didn’t wait around to eat these. Well at least not for the first trial. I toned it down a bit on the sense of eating urgency after making them three times in a row. Good thing the boy loves ice cream.
Regardless of how fast you eat them, or how much you want to wait around for ice cream, these are the perfect solution to your new cravings for refreshing cold treats on hot summer afternoons. They’re made with bananas and avocado after all (shhh don’t tell!), so you can’t really feel too guilty about them, and the sandwich layers achieve the perfect slightly crunchy consistency, from the nuts and oats. Personally, I’d say they’re better to make and then freeze for a few hours and eat later, but if you need to make them and eat them immediately, I get ya. Been there done that. Multiple times. Do whatever you have to do. Some things just can’t wait.
Vegan ice cream sandwiched between two raw coconut almond cookies in a dessert or snack that you will never know is free of refined sugar and with no dairy at all!
Ingredients (Serves 5)
For the Cookies
- 8 dates
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup large flake oats
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
For the Ice-Cream
- 2 ripe bananas, frozen
- 1/2 small ripe avocado
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder
For the Cookies
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until ground up and clumps form.
- Pour the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper, and placing another piece on top, roll thinly.
- Score into squares or rectangles and place in the freezer to harden.
For the Ice Cream
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until a smooth, soft serve ice cream forms.
- Remove cookies from the freezer and smooth the ice cream on top of half of them, before topping with another cookie.
- Place the finished ice cream sandwiches in the freezer to harden.
- Before eating, allow the sandwiches to sit on the counter and soften for 5-6 minutes.
What’s your favourite cold treat when the summer days get hot? My next plan is to buy popsicle molds . . .
*I’m linking up with Running With Spoons on Thursday, so check it out for more great recipes and blogs!