You may disagree, but personally I think, that you can never have too many brownie recipes. And the more I create and experiment with, the more I want to create, because each one is better than the last. My coconut flour mocha brownies are soft and a little less crumbly, while these ones are fudgy and that perfect sink-your-teeth-into-consistency, that leaves a few crumbs behind on the table for you to eat afterwards. Plus they’re made with beetroot. Let’s just stop right there.
I haven’t included a lot of beetroot recipes on here so far, but the truth is, they’re nearly on par with sweet potatoes and squash for me when it comes to their versatility and the number of things I like to use them for. They’re not the favourite over either of the above, of course, but they still have a pretty high ranking. I’ve used them to make beetroot gnocchi, and lots of beetroot morning breakfast juices. I’ve made red pancakes (sometimes the juice is just as good as the vegetable!), used them in tonnes of dinner recipes, and of course they are a natural when it comes to pairing with chocolate, whether it be in smoothies, muffins or these brownies. But you really only need to focus on these brownies. They were originally going to be chocolate beetroot muffins, a recipe I created in my head one night while I was at work. But when the opportunity for brownies arises, who turns it down? I hope you won’t, because now you don’t even have to do any creating, you can go to town doing just the baking! And don’t worry, I packed lots of healthy ingredients in there, and left out all the unhealthy ones so you can totally take three of these to work and eat them sitting at your desk, while everybody else stares and whispers about how you can keep your lean, fit figure when all you do is eat brownies. They don’t have to know they’re made of beets and black beans. Our little secret.
Get your hands on some beets and start creating these lovely little beauties for a healthy, protein filled snack option to enjoy all week long. And don’t forget to hold on to the beet greens to cook them for dinner! Two winners in one veggie. That’s my kind of deal!
Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
Gluten free, vegan brownies that are made with beetroot and black beans. Fudgy, rich and chocolatey, these pack in your protein, fiber and veggies all in one!
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup beetroot, chopped and cooked
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp stevia powder
- 10 dates, soaked
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Combine brown rice flour, coconut flour, cacao, baking powder, baking soda and stevia in a bowl. Stir to mix.
- Meanwhile, in the food processor or blender, blend beetroot, dates, water and black beans. Pulse until smooth, scraping as necessary.
- When beetroot puree is smooth, add to the flour mixture and pour in coconut milk. Stir to fully combine and then pour into a 9×9 square pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until bars are firm and pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Cool on a rack and then store in an airtight container in the fridge, slicing as desired.