Everybody needs a good creamy cheese sauce in their life. Whether it’s for pasta or macaroni, nacho night or to pour over veggies, you can’t go wrong having one of these in your books to whip out at a moments notice. I say a moments notice, because all the cheese sauce recipes I come across require soaked cashews. And personally, I don’t casually have an extra cup of cashews soaking on my counter for whenever the need for cheese sauce calls.
Instead, this cheese sauce uses white kidney beans. I actually use beans as a base in a lot of my sauces (and desserts!), and I love the creaminess it provided while still offering a great health kick, and acting as a much cheaper alternative than cashews. Don’t get me wrong, I do love to splurge on a big bag of cashews every now and then and do cheesecake and cream sauce and cashew butter and anything else I can, but it’s not always practical for every day affairs. That’s why I need this cheese sauce. And for comfort food reasons. There’s nothing that says comfort food like broccoli ladled with cheese sauce or macaroni baked in cheesy goodness.
For this recipe, I stayed with the pasta route and dumped this bowl of goodness onto spaghetti squash nests. Baked in the oven until the edges are crispy, the spaghetti squash soaks up the sauce like a dream and leaves you with a creamy, messy bite every time. On the second night with the cheese sauce and nests, I actually dumped a whole bunch of stir fried veggies on top, and it took things to the next level. When it comes to the sauce, it comes packaged with its own protein and healthy fat, so really, you just need to add lots of veggies to your dinner and you’re all set to go. And if you’re combining cheese, squash and veggies, what’s not to love?
Spaghetti Squash Nests with Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
Homemade vegan cheese sauce that doesn’t require any cashews and is packed with protein. Try it over veggies or your favourite pasta.
- 1 cup buttercup squash, roasted and pureed
- 1/2 cup white kidney beans
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you would like it a little runnier, add extra coconut milk or water until it reaches your desired consistency.
- If you would like to serve it with the spaghetti squash, pre-bake a spaghetti squash and set it aside to cool slightly.
- Once it has cooled some, scoop it out and twirl it into nests and place each one in the individual cup of a muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden and crispy.
- Pour sauce over nests and serve with vegetables if you desire.
Have a great day!