I think the best way to describe these bars is that they are like a sweet, creamy chai latte that you get to eat. You know how sometimes you smell chai tea, or order a chai latte and it smells so good that you wish it was in edible form? That’s what this is. That perfect combination of cinnamon and chai spices, creamy smooth inside like perfectly frothed milk, and of course that sweetness that you would expect from fudge – not too sweet though. Just right.
But you don’t have to eat these and feel guilty like you may about ordering a giant chai frappuccino or chai latte from Starbucks. Instead you can eat these for breakfast, snack or dessert and tell yourself “I’m getting protein, healthy fats and lots of fiber, all in one place.” Because these babies are made with the one and only chickpea. Come on, would you expect anything else? You know I’m a bit of a fan, and I can’t help but add them into everything when given the chance. Ok, well I can’t help but add them into everything that you can’t tell they’re in when given the chance. Remember these? And these? Because here’s the thing with chickpeas: they’re a great source of plant-based protein and loaded with fiber. They’re a complex carbohydrate, meaning they break down slowly and leave you fuller for longer without any blood sugar crashes.
If we’re going to be real here, this means, you can have these for dessert and satisfy your little after dinner sweet craving (guilty), but not eat 15 of them because you still crave more sugar when they’re gone. Okay, well you may eat more than one, just because they’re sooooo good, but it will only be a boost to your daily protein and fiber intake. Win. Plus, you have to eat these right away when you take them out of the fridge, so they won’t be sitting on the counter calling your name like cookies – they’ll be tucked away in the fridge just waiting for you to come find them. For breakfast, snack and dessert. And then dessert again. Don’t worry, I totally ate more than one . . .
Chai Infused Cinnamon Fudge Bars
This high protein fudge is a great source of healthy fats, as well as completely vegan and free of refined sugar. Oh, and it tastes like candy shop fudge!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 dates, soaked in 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp chai tea leaves, infused in boiling water with dates
- 1 tsp bourbon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/8 tsp stevia powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- Combine the chickpeas, soaked dates, tea, vanilla, coconut oil, stevia powder, cinnamon and vanilla protein powder in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add in the coconut flour and puree until it thickens. Once thick, scrape into a rectangular loaf pan and place in the freezer to set.
- Leave in the freezer until firm, and then transfer to the fridge 20-30 minutes before you would like to eat it.
- Slice into squares and enjoy.
- The fudge goes soft quickly when left out of the fridge/freezer, so keep refrigerated when not eating.
Craving some more bars? Check out these delicious options!