A couple of weeks ago, I published a post on The Path to Wellness. It focused on the idea that we all have our own path when it comes to getting healthy and achieving your wellness goals, and following someone else’s path, or not taking the time to cultivate and develop your own, will never let you end up where you want to be, reaching your healthiest self.
Today, I’m taking it to the next level and talking about the steps of how to get on that path.
Sometimes the hardest thing is just getting started. You can want something so bad, and know what you want, but taking that first step to get there is the hardest thing. I totally get that. And I totally get that part of what makes it hard is that you don’t even know where to start. Health and wellness and being healthy and getting fit and eating right is like this big hole that is filled with so much information and facts and how do you even start to navigate it, without just falling into the hole?
I want to make it easy for you and walk you through it. Go through this list, making sure you have fully completed each step before you move on to the next. Send me an email if you get lost, don’t know how to make it happen, or need a bit of guidance and motivation, and pretty soon you’ll be on the path!
- Get really clear on what it is you want – One of the first things I always ask people when they come into my office for a consultation, is “what do you want to walk away with today? What are your goals?” In other words, after we meet and chat and you leave, what do you hope to know, or have the skills to know or achieve. You would be surprised the people who actually look at me completely blankly and have no idea. As much as I may know about health and nutrition and wellness, I can’t use any of it to help you if you don’t know where you need or want help. The first step in any changes with yourself is to know what it is you want to change or improve and what the end result looks like. From there. I can help you break it down to get to where you want.
- Accept the idea of time and change – Making a difference in your wellness and health and wellbeing is a change, and it needs time. If you want long-term results, you need to implement sustainable changes that you can make permanently to facilitate a complete lifestyle change. This means being open to change, doing things differently, trying new things, and also understanding that it will take time. There is no quick fix to enabling long-term wellness.
- Educate and arm – Read books, talk to people you trust, listen to podcasts and talk to professionals so you can educate yourself and get the knowledge you need. Knowledge is power. When you feel like you know more about what you are doing, you will feel more like you know where you are going, and then you just keep taking the steps to get there. Reach out to me with your questions, confusions, or just to chat, and don’t forget to make use of these resources!
- Take one step – It is usual to meet all of this with resistance. To resist change, to be nervous or scared, or put off doing it because it is new, or challenging or it will be hard and take time. But the only thing you have to do right now is take that first step. Once you take the first step, you will have started and there won’t be any point in stopping because you’re already on your path. As you look at your wellness journey, write out a specific first step. What is the very first thing you can do to start off, that will get you on the path and motivate you to keep going?
- Jump all in – Once you’ve taken the first step, jump all in, and stay in. This new wellness journey and your goals need to become a priority. You need to treat it with the same urgency that you would your job, or your child’s health. You need to be true to yourself and keep the appointments you make with yourself for the gym or to go for a run. You need to get yourself fully on board and be committed to what it is you know you want. Figure out what it looks like for you to be all in, the time you require, the support etc., and then make it happen. If you don’t, next week or next month, you’ll only wish you had of started sooner.
- Ask for help – Whether it’s just help in the form of motivation and support, whether it’s help in the form of seeking out someone with the knowledge and experience you need, or whether it’s help in taking something off your plate so you can devote time to your path, get out there and ask for it. Remember that everyone who loves you wants you to be at your best and love yourself as well. Stop thinking that they probably don’t want to help you, or that you are a burden, or that you need to do it all on your own. Nobody is a hero for not asking for help. You’re the hero when you ask for help and get to where you said you were going to go.
Want even more help? Want to learn how you can break your goal down and get really specific so you can be on a path to wellness that is exactly right for you? Sign up below to receive a FREE step by step guide to “Blaze your own Path.” Or simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get started right away!